- Prepare a Project Plan and stick to it.
- Keep it simple - your plan should focus only on the key issues which matter to your community - a plan with just a handful of policies can be very effective.
- Avoid repeating stuff already in the Local Plan - your policies should go above and beyond what the Local Plan says, and not simply duplicate it.
- Communicate with your district council - keep them up to date with your progress, and discuss your draft policies to ensure you are on the right path and not in conflict with strategic issues.
- Don't bite off more than you can chew when it comes to community engagement and consultation - some well-meaning groups may plan extensive programmes of consultation exercises, but this may be unnecessary. Ensure all consultation is focused and effective with a clear purpose.
This is the first in a two-part post. Check out my example of a timetable / project plan for writing your plan.